Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ravelympics

(a new skein of Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn being wound on my swift and yarn winder)

The Winter Olympics are coming this Friday, and with them another type of Olympics - the Ravelry-Olympics (or Ravelympics)!!!  Ravelry is like facebook but for knitters and crocheters, and a very awesome place to find patterns, meet other knitters, and get inspired to knit cool things.  :)

The purpose in Ravelympics is to stretch yourself in your knitting.  To knit something you've never tried before, but always wanted to.  Or to learn a few new stitches and put them into practice.  I have lofty knitting goals for these Ravelympics, but I think they are obtainable and I'm set to finish and win GOLD!  :)

Here's my list of things I'd like to complete: 

Daybreak shawl by Stephen West (I'm 1/4 done)
1 pair of Dragonfly socks for Sammie
1 pair of Monkey socks for me
1 pair of French Press Knits Felted Slippers
March's Knit-Along Pattern
Additionally, I'd like to create a few youtube videos on how to do some of the stitches we are using in my knitting class.  This would be a great reminder for class members during the month, and for those attempting the patterns long distance.


Will you take the Ravelympics challenge too?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Are there any special requirments to join your team?
-Leslie

Jeanne said...

Wow, Nona, you sure do have lofty goals. I'd be lucky to partially complete ONE of your several projects! LOL I so admire how you stretch yourself. I checked out all your projects and they ALL look so wonderful and I've no doubt you will manage to get most, if not all of these completed.

I wanted to tell you, I found that East Meets West sock book at Joann's recently and bought it. Don't know if I can actually create a pair, but they are so beautiful, I couldn't resist the temptation to at least oooh and ahhhh over the pictures! LOL Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!

nonapearl said...

Leslie - this isn't my group but the "Never Not Knitting" blog's group.

All you have to do is click on the button I posted, and follow the directions from her page!

Jeanne - you should just dive in! The patterns aren't super difficult (they just look fancy!) Try the Tsunami or the basket weave ones (that have an adult size and a child size) in the back of the book. Her tips are great and the sock construction the same throughout the book.