Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Wendi's Shawl

I started this shawl/scarf a LOOOOONG time ago, but haven't been able to post because it was for my best friend Wendi's birthday.

I knit it using the Mizzle pattern (free on Ravelry) by Patricia Clift Martin.  I used Hazel Knits Sock Yarn.  It was a very fast, simple knit (when one reads and follows the directions), and after blocking it came out so beautifully!


I didn't take a bunch of pictures of the process, but here's a few of the knitting progression (and regression):

one hour in:

 three hours in, one hour out.
(turns out that some of the eyelets are purely DECORATIVE, meaning that I had increased by double about 9 rows too soon.  OOPS!  Yes, reading the pattern is a fantastic idea.  I recommend it.)

Center section done.  Starting the edging:

I thought I had a picture of the "pre-blocked" finished shawl, but I don't.  So I'll show you the blocking process (for those that don't know what blocking is).

First, you gently wash your knitted item in warm (or cold) water with a touch of wool soap.  Mmmm... the small of wet wool is delightfully GROSS!  Think of the smell of a wet sheep (or dog).  Blechh.  Maybe that's why I don't like blocking?!?!  ;)

Then you make a knitting towel wrap - and roll out the excess water.  You should never wring knitting.  A towel larger than the one I'm using is better.  I was being lazy.

Then on blocking squares, or a nice bedspread, or ???  you pin your knitting to the shape you want it to have, and let it dry.  Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes DAYS.  Do not try and rush the drying process.

Sometimes you have to re-pin and re-pin and re-pin until you get the shape JUST right.  This took me an hour to get perfect.

This was "pre-perfection", but the best shot of the finished shawl.

Now I just need a picture of Wendi wearing it!  :)


1 comment:

Kandi said...

This looks beautiful Nona. Yes, tell Wendi we want to see her model it. :)