Well, the first week I started selling them, a local teacher asked if I could personalize 2 banners for her classroom. She gave me colors to match when selecting fabric, and asked if the banners could say "READ" and "IMAGINE".
Of course I jumped at the challenge. I purchased the fabric, and then contemplated how to go about doing the lettering. I experimented with cutting felt shapes using metal dies and my cuttlebug, and found that it works REALLY well! Woohoo... I ended up using the diesel alphabet by sizzix, and the scallop circles from nestibilities. Here is a photo after I stitched the letters to the circle. (Please ignore the massive amount of leg showing. I WAS wearing shorts - I promise.)
The next step was sewing the letters onto the fabric banner. I finished the banners at around 9 pm and had to give them to the teacher the next morning at the market, so I wasn't able to get really good pictures, unfortunately. But hopefully you'll get the idea!
Here they are pinned, and ready to be sewn on. Then I sewed the triangles together using twill tape.
It was hard to fit the whole "IMAGINE" banner into one photo. It's about 6' long. The two blue fabrics on this one are different, even though you can't see it well in the photo. One is a navy and cream stripe, and the other is a medium blue with small dark blue flowers.
I'm going to make one for each of my girl's rooms next! If you are interested in having a banner made, please email me directly for pricing and more information. firstname.lastname@example.org